Sunday, September 23, 2018

Visit to Fitness Analytics (Lactate Threshold Testing)

Image result for fitness analytics
A few Sundays ago, I made my way up to Claregalway, Co. Galway, to meet up with Matt Bidwell.  I was meeting with Matt to perform a Lactate Threshold Test.  Matt runs Fitness Analytics where he performs testing and gives coaching advice to his clients.


Image result for matt fitzgerald 80/20


I had done a bit of research into 80/20 running by reading Matt Fitzgerald's book.  It gave me an insight into a training regime which I felt would suit me.  In the past, I was going out running and doing a certain distance and time.  The next time I was going out running, I would have to beat that time.  I could never sustain this and I would get injured and burnt out.

So by reading the book, I felt that this method of training would suit me.  In the book, he talked about getting your lactate threshold point and setting your new heart rate levels from this.  I tried doing this with my Polar watch, but I felt I was not doing it right.

I asked for help from Dr. Google and  I found Fitness Analytics on it.  Matt Bidwell was performing the test that I was looking for and it was not too far from me. So I contacted him and made  an appointment. 
Matt is a very welcoming man.  I met him at his house where he has a room with a treadmill to perform the test.  We chatted for about an hour before the test to get some background information.  Matt was asking me what I wanted from this test.  I basically told him that I wanted to improve my times and find a training plan that lets me recover and improve.

I felt that Matt was very knowledgeable about what he was doing and if he is an advertisement for his testing and training plans, he will do well.  He has ran new PB's for 5km (15:23), 10km (31:42), 10 miles (52:41) and half marathon (1;10:31). Those times speak for themselves.

To perform the test is very simple.  I warmed up on the treadmill first.  Matt got me starting off at a slow pace and after 3 minutes, he got me to step to the side and he performed a prick test on my index finger to get a blood sample.  After he checked your lactate level, he ups the pace and I had to run for another 3 minutes.  After the 3 minutes were up, he performed the prick test and took my lactate levels again.  He repeated this process for six turns. Sure as you can see, my poor finger was worse for wear after it.

This test is not as exhausting as a VO2 test, but I was put through my paces with it.  Matt takes the information from the test and he makes a very comprehensive report from it.  He gave me my heart rate levels which I can use to train.  My lactate threshold is 4mmol/litre at a speed of 4:08 mins/km at a heart rate of 158 bpm.

He gave me a plan to follow for about 6 weeks.  I have dipped into it but I have not fully engrossed myself in it as a newborn baby has put the brakes on my running for a short time.  When I start the plan, in a normal week I will put in 2 gym sessions, 4 running sessions and 1 rest day.  For my 4 runs, I have to complete 2 threshold runs, 1 tempo run and 1 recovery run.  

For the threshold run, I have to keep my heart rate between 146 - 158 bpms for around 40 mins.  The first tempo run I completed, involved 15 x 1 minute tempo runs in between 159 - 169 bpms.  There are different types of tempo runs for me to complete.  For my recovery run, I started off running nice and easy for an hour and I will increase it by a few minutes each time.  I will keep in between 134 - 145 bpms.


I really hope to get a good six weeks training under my belt and see if I can make some improvements.  I feel that I will.  The cost of the test and report was €120.  Matt has offered me some more advice through email after six weeks where I could look to change my training plan up a bit.  Matt says you only really need to do this test once every 6 months so it is not that costly.  My overall experience of it was very positive.  Matt was very encouraging and easy to get on with.  I would recommend a visit to Matt and Fitness Analytics if you are looking to bring your running on a bit further.  Check our Fitness Analytics facebook page for more information.

Thanks for reading. 


2 comments:

Glanageenty Loop

I am finally getting around to doing this post.  Glanageenty is an amazing place and at the moment it is my favourite place to run.  Wheneve...