Sunday, October 14, 2018

Cross Country Running


Image result for cross country running legs

I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good idea to compete in Cross Country this Autumn.  I ran Cross Country until I was 15 years old and never really liked it.  Once playing Gaelic Football got more serious, it got the boot. 

Before my first cross country race last week, I was a bit apprehensive about it.  I was worried it could turn me off the whole running experience.  But I am safe in saying that it was not the case.  If anything it has heightened my desire to run.

I really think cross country running is the toughest of the lot.  All done during Autumn and Winter in fields that are rough and covering in plenty of cows##t to navigate round.  I said if I was going to try a few races I was not going doing it barefoot.  I was going to make sure I had a pair of spikes to make it some bit easier.  There are still plenty hardy souls in the circuit running barefoot.

For my first race, I went to a place outside Ennis called Kilnaboy.  It was the County Novice and Masters race.  As I am 35 this year, I am considered in the Masters section.  Made me feel a bit old!!! So I could be considered for both the Novice and Masters competition.

My club is St. John's AC.  They are based back in West Clare where I am originally from.  It is the same club I ran with when I was younger.  In Kilnaboy, I was the only novice and masters runner flying the flag from St. Johns.  There was a field of about 30 in the race.  It was just over 6 kms in distance. It started off at a lively pace and this was where the problems started.  As the leading pack took off, I tried my best to stay in touch.  This was a big mistake as after about a half a kilometre, my heart rate was gone up very high.  I knew I was in trouble as I would not be able to keep this going.  That was the case as I slipped back through the field.  The last lap was torture.  I put my head down and ploughed on.  I made it to the finish line feeling awful.  I was light headed and felt like I was going to be sick.  I finished in 17th place.  Overall it was a tough race, as I ran it all wrong.  I promised myself in my next race that I would pace myself better.  I came home and I was absolutely spent, but looking forward to the next outing.

I had not long to wait, as the County Intermediate race was on in Cooraclare the following week. There was a smaller field of about 25 in this race. St. John's representation doubled as I was joined by Declan for this race.  I was determined to run this race at an easier pace. I needed to do it, as it was a longer race covering around 8 kms.  The course was familiar to me, as we did a lot of pre season football training here.  I took off at a nice comfortable pace.  I found myself in the middle of the pack.  I felt good until probably the last 2 km lap.  My heart rate was very high here.  I was passed out by two runners.  There was a third runner gaining on me but I was surprised to find that I had a bit left in the tank to see off the challenge of the runner behind me and the line came just too quick for me to catch the runner ahead of me. I finished in a very respectable 10th place.  I was delighted with this as I felt I ran a good race.  My club mate, Declan, finished in 5th place.  It was such a better experience today as I paced myself better and it was a cracking day for a run as the weather was lovely.

So the races are coming thick and fast, as the Munster Novice Cross Country Championships are taking place in Beaufort, Co Kerry next weekend.  Not sure yet if I will be able to go but we will see.  The field will be much bigger and the competition will be stronger.  I will just run my own race and see how I get on.  Simple as that.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glanageenty Loop

I am finally getting around to doing this post.  Glanageenty is an amazing place and at the moment it is my favourite place to run.  Wheneve...